Resp & Qualifications
The ideal candidate is someone who can commit to work up to 15-20 hours per week during the academic year in the Fall/Spring and 35-40 hours per week during the summer.
The intern will be working with one of the actuarial team members to gain experience of actuarial work and understanding of the healthcare industry. You will have the opportunity to apply what you have learned in school within a business environment. This opportunity will allow you to develop valuable connections and relationships while working across multiple levels of management within different areas of the organization.
- Gather data from different sources (Internal/External & Qualitative/Quantitative).
- Use your analytical skills to present findings (pivot tables, visualizations, narrative summaries).
- Prepare and/or maintain documentation of work.
- Assist in the development of rates for Commercial products including ACA and Large Group to prepare rate filings.
- Assist in preparation of accurate and timely trend analyses.
- Assist in the development of reserves for internal and regulatory reporting.
- Assist in value-based contract review and analyses.
- Assist in risk adjustment analytics.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience: This position requires an individual working towards a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited College or University. Junior or Senior Undergraduate student targeting majors in Actuarial Science, Mathematics, Statistics, Economics, Finance, or related degrees with a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or above. Passage of one SOA actuarial exam is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, and organizations skills.
- Must be able to work independently and in a team environment to accomplish assigned tasks with a positive attitude.
- Experience using Microsoft Office Products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Access), SQL, or Python.
- Ability to interface with and establish/maintain effective working relationships with internal staff/departments.
Salary Range Disclaimer
The hire range posted is an annual rate. All intern positions will be paid hourly.
Equal Employment Opportunity
CareFirst BlueCross BlueShield is an Equal Opportunity (EEO) employer. It is the policy of the Company to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, protected veteran or disabled status, or genetic information.
Where To Apply
Please visit our website to apply: www.carefirst.com/careers
Federal Disc/Physical Demand
Note: The incumbent is required to immediately disclose any debarment, exclusion, or other event that makes him/her ineligible to perform work directly or indirectly on Federal health care programs.
The associate is primarily seated while performing the duties of the position. Occasional walking or standing is required. The hands are regularly used to write, type, key and handle or feel small controls and objects. The associate must frequently talk and hear. Weights up to 25 pounds are occasionally lifted.
Sponsorship in US
Must be eligible to work in the U.S. without sponsorship. No CPT/OPT