Staff & Executive – Administrative & Support
Center for PreCollege Programs
The Center for PreCollege Programs administers pre-college and career readiness pipeline programs designed to educate, inspire, and prepare students to be future-focused and 21st century ready. Our commitment is to support students by providing opportunities to achieve and grow effectively.
Rutgers University-Newark, an urban public research university and anchor institution located in Newark, New Jersey, a city of promise, is seeking a Business Specialist. Reporting to the Director/Associate Dean of the Center for PreCollege Programs at Rutgers University-Newark, the position responsibilities include and are not limited to the following.
- Manages complex fiscal and budget analysis, development, and tracking of all department accounts and internal, external, private, and government grants and other financial matters.
- Provides planning, facilitating, and preparation of key fiscal and business administrative functions.
- Prepares, reviews, and reconciles with accuracy all purchase orders, IPOs, cash transmittals, journal entries, payroll, commitments, and other financial transactions and documents.
- Prepares and reconciles payroll/people soft transactions (hourly pay, other pay, charging instructions, SWRJs).
- Processes all personnel actions and functions as the preparer for the Recruitment, Onboarding, and Classification System (ROCS) and the Human Capital Management (HCM) system.
- Initiates the department’s procurement process, assists in researching and obtaining quotes, prepares purchase orders and manages blankets.
- Analyzes data and prepares financial documents and reports for internal and external purposes, conforming to generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Maintains department files, records, and reports as required by the university, state, federal, and other sponsored programs policies and regulations.
- Provides fiscal and program reports to the university, state, federal and other sponsored programs as required.
- Reviews and reconciles all expenditures for funding availability and appropriate programmatic support of the department’s strategic mission and objectives.
- Provides administrative support to the Director/Associate Dean, maintaining the AD’s calendar, scheduling and overseeing preparations for meetings and events, external unit communications able to work autonomously to handle confidential matters and diffuse any issues prior to addressing the Director/Associate Dean
- Independently provides account administration, reconciliation, and reporting for assigned departmental accounts.
- Analyzes data, tracks expenditures, and prepares reports related to assigned accounts as needed.
- Assists the Director/Associate Dean in developing and submitting the annual budget, including monthly and forecasting reports, as required.
- Oversees and coordinates all office administrative functions and operations for CPP including but not limited to space, mail, maintenance and work-study staff
- Makes recommendations on improving the financial and business processes to improve operations and efficiencies.
- Resolves a diverse range of problems consistent with an understanding of the department’s mission, vision, role, and goals and a comprehensive understanding of business processes, applicable regulations, and university policies and procedures.
- Works independently with broadly defined work objectives and limited review of overall results.
Hours Per Week
Daily Work Shift
Consistent with the current application of Rutgers Policy 60.3.22, this position may be eligible for a hybrid work arrangement. The flexible work arrangements outlined in Rutgers Policy 60.3.22 are part of a pilot program that is effective September 1, 2022 through August 31, 2024. Therefore, there is no guarantee that this flexible work arrangement will continue beyond that date. Flexible work arrangements are not permanent, are subject to change or cancellation and contingent on the employee receiving approval in the FlexWork@RU Application System. Additional information may be found at https://futureofwork.rutgers.edu.
Annual Minimum Salary
Annual Mid Range Salary
Annual Maximum Salary
Rutgers offers a comprehensive benefit program to eligible employees. For details, please go to http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview.
Rutgers also offers a benefit program to eligible full-time postdoctoral fellow students. For details, please go to https://finance.rutgers.edu/healthcare-risk/insurance/postdoctoral-health-insurance.
Terms of Appointment
Staff – 12 month
Position Pension Eligibility
Minimum Education and Experience
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and/or experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and practices.
- Also requires a minimum of two years of relevant experience in a financial/accounting function, good communication skills, and computer literacy. Certain positions may require specific education, certification or licensure, an advanced degree with equivalent experience, or expertise in a specialty area.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Must have good customer service skills, troubleshooting, and problem-solving skills.
- Detail-oriented, systematic, and exceptionally well-organized individual who must be able to manage multiple competing priorities that may change frequently, be flexible, and able to respond to emergencies posed by colleagues and customers in a calm and congenial manner.
- Work must be performed accurately in a high-volume area without jeopardizing the integrity of the financial accounting system and be conscientious of meeting deadlines.
- Good communication and computer literacy skills.
- Requires budget and finance experience as it is essential to this position’s key duties & functions.
- MBA Preferred
- Experience that demonstrates knowledge and understanding of generally accepted accounting principles and practices in a university setting.
- Experience with Rutgers University system applications such as Cornerstone, SciQuest, Oracle Financial Management, and Tableau.
- Computer literacy, including Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel, including Pivot Tables.
- Able to use various pieces of software that provide financial reporting capabilities.
- Should have intermediate knowledge of Microsoft suite such as Word, Excel, Teams, and One Drive.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Standing, sitting, walking, talking, and hearing
- Lifting to 25 lbs.
- Must be able to work on scheduled weekends and evenings
- Fast-paced, service-focused environment
- Require some evening and weekend hours.
Posting Open Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
Home Location Campus
All offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of all pre-employment screenings.
Under Policy 60.1.35 Immunization Policy for Rutgers Employees and Prospective Employees, Rutgers University requires all prospective employees to provide proof that they are vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to commencement of employment, unless the University has granted the individual a medical or religious exemption. Rutgers University may require certain prospective employees to receive an updated (bivalent) vaccine dose. Under Policy 100.3.1 Immunization Policy for Covered Individuals, if employment will commence during Flu Season, Rutgers University may require certain prospective employees to provide proof that they are vaccinated against Seasonal Influenza for the current Flu Season, unless the University has granted the individual a medical or religious exemption. Additional infection control and safety policies may apply. Prospective employees should speak with their hiring manager to determine which policies apply to the role or position for which they are applying. Failure to provide proof of vaccination for any required vaccines or obtain a medical or religious exemption from the University will result in rescission of a candidate’s offer of employment or disciplinary action up to and including termination.